Begin your Texas Divorce OnlineBegin Divorce
Texas Divorce Online is a service created in Texas that allows you to complete your official Texas Petition for Dissolution of Marriage, commonly known as divorce, online.
How Do I?
What if I need an attorney for full representation? How do I find a divorce lawyer in Texas?
At Texas Divorce Online, we offer the online delivery of professional attorney services by allowing you and your spouse to provide us with your agreement. Our attorneys then prepare the necessary documents required for the filing and finalization of your divorce case. The documents are prepared specifically to meet your unique situation, circumstances, and agreements. Additionally, attorneys are available to answer questions along the way.
Many couples have successfully divorced without hiring a divorce lawyer for complete (traditional) representation. More and more couples understand that it’s less costly both emotionally and financially if they can achieve agreement on their own – or with the guided assistance from attorneys as opposed to the full representation by attorneys. However, in some circumstances a lawyer is needed for full representation. If you and your spouse disagree on issues and you know that you will absolutely not be able to reach an agreement together, then full representation is needed. In such cases, it is best to hire an attorney for full representation. That attorney may be able to assist you to reach agreement before trial (often through a formal mediation that will be attended by your spouse with his/her attorney as well), but that attorney will also be available and ready to represent you in your divorce trial if a trial is required.
If you believe you need an attorney for full representation, you may want some ideas regarding how to find the right attorney for you. Here are some tips on how to find a qualified divorce lawyer in your area:
- Ask for referral from friends and family or ask for recommendations from lawyers whose services you have used for other matters. This is probably one of the best routes to finding an attorney who is right for you. It is key to find an attorney who is right for you. Each case is different. Each person’s personality is different. You want to find an attorney who will match your needs and your style. Remember: it is your divorce, and you want an experienced and qualified attorney who will respect and listen to your goals for the process.
- Call your local county bar association or contact the Texas Bar Association.
Upon meeting with the lawyer for the first time, consider asking these basic questions:
- What is your experience and background? How many divorce cases have you handled?
- How would you handle my case?
- Describe the process step by step?
- How promptly will my calls be returned, and will I talk with you or your staff?
- Do you offer a payment plan, and how am I billed?
- Do you have a written Legal Services or Fee Agreement that I will sign?
The above questions are important, but most attorneys will answer those questions through the process of discussion with you. Once you know your attorney is experienced in family law, it is critically important that you feel comfortable with and confident in your attorney. Divorce is a very personal matter. Attorneys come in all different personalities. You can find an attorney that “feels” right for you. Take the time to find a good fit. This is a very big decision. It will also be an expensive one. It is important to take the time in the beginning to do what you can to make the right decision. You may consider interviewing several lawyers before making your decision.
Free or Discounted Legal Help Available in Texas
There are a number of organizations that provide discounted or free legal assistance to low-income persons. If you are a low-income person, you might qualify to obtain legal assistance from one of the following organizations: